Sunday 5 February 2012

Knit Technical Block

Knit was my last technical block, and the one I was most looking forward to. I really love knit and my whole final project for my foundation was based on hand knitting, so I couldn't wait to get into knit to see what I could do. However, for the first while in knot I found it very frustrating (as did many others) as it is quite a difficult process to get into and takes a lot of trial and error to get it right. It's also a very broad area, as there are literally hundreds of techniques possible and when you only have a two week time frame its difficult to try everything and get everything practiced enough for it to look good. However, as the block progressed I found myself gaining more confidence in my work and my ability to use the knitting machine, and found myself using the same few techniques to develop my work instead of trying to do everything when not all the techniques actually related to my work. My preferred techniques were cables, using small patterned punch cards, hooking the knitting back up onto the needles, and a combination of lace holes and ladders. By the end I really got into knit, and really enjoyed the process, as it is much more fast paced than weave which I often found tedious, however there was a lot more room for error for mistakes in knit which was quite disheartening. There was also not much in terms of tutor feedback, which left me feeling a bit lost as to how I was doing.








No comments:

Post a Comment